To download our May/June/July 2015 Newsletter, click here.
Please note that Adobe Reader or another PDF reading program is required to read our newsletter.
Our next meetings are:
Saturday May 9th, 2015
Sat. June 13th, 2015
Sat. July 11th, 2015
10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Our New Location!
We now at the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Service Center’s Fresno HQ at 5340 N. Fresno St, Fresno, CA 93710.
For the full news stories summarized in our “Parkinson’s in the News” section, click the following links:
- Nanoparticle Drug Reverses Parkinson’s-like Symptoms in Rats
- Hacked Kinect Controller Game Changer for Parkinson’s
- Michael J. Fox Foundation’s webinars are every “Third Thursday.” Their next webinar is “What’s the Alternative? What to Know about Complementary Medicine for Parkinson’s” – panelists will discuss alternative treatments for Parkinson’s like supplements, acupuncture, and more. The webinar will be held on May 21st at 9am. See the MJFF website for information on how to attend.
- Parkinson’s Disease Foundation has one upcoming webinar on their schedule that you can attend online or over the phone. The subject is “Challenges of Advanced Parkinson’s and Tips for Better Living” with an expert on aging. This webinar will be held on June 23rd at 10am. See the PDF website for information on how to attend.
- The next scheduled National Parkinson’s Foundation Webinar hasn’t been announced yet, watch the NPF website for information.
May 4th – 8th is Clinical Trials Awareness Week
Clinical trials are important to drive new treatments for Parkinson’s disease. Getting enough trial participants is paramount to the success of all trials – be it a genetic history trial, observational study, medication trial – you name it! Register at www.foxtrialfinder.org to get connected to trials you can participate in, your friends and family can register too – even if they don’t have PD!
Here are examples of trials you can apply for right now:
- Parkinson mPower Study app – This is a trial partnered with Apple using their iPhone smart phones. “The Parkinson mPower app uses questionnaires, sensor data from your phone and optional wearable device data to help you track your condition 24×7.” The information is shared with researchers at University of Rochester. They are looking for people with PD and without PD to be controls. Download the app from the Apple App Store to get started.
- Parkinson’s Diseases Susceptibility Genes and Pesticides – This study from UCLA is an observational trial looking for the connection between certain genetic biomarkers and pesticide exposure in Kern, Fresno, and Tulare counties. Several of our members have participated. For more information contract Beate R Ritz, MD, Ph.D., email@example.com, 310-206-7458.
- VA Cares for Dementia Caregivers – Caregivers this one is for you! The VA at Palo Alto is looking for caregivers of people with dementia, including PD dementia and dementia with Lewy bodies. The study is hoping to address the high burden of people caring for a veteran with dementia, including the use of video technology to reach caregivers in rural areas who do not have access to major VA medical centers.